To offer Education and Training to all Guyanese, who will access the knowledge and skills required to develop the community and the nation as a whole.
To produce well developed and skilled individuals, who will build the community and the country.
Guyana is climbing the ladder of development. The Ministry of Education joined the scope for development by building centres of this nature in all the Regions of Guyana. Mahaicony was chosen as a site for Technical Education and Training. The Caribbean Development Bank was approached and the building started.
With its goal to match modern technology and training, the Centre was designed for Competency Based Education Training. Equipment and tools were placed in this Centre which opened its doors to training in February 25, 2012.
Aims and Objectives
- To offer education and training in Technical, scientific and commercial fields to young people and adults.
- To structure and organize programs consistent with the needs of industry as well as in keeping with national goals.
- To provide work attachment opportunities for trainees.
- To facilitate extended opportunities for persons to gain knowledge and skills through open access and other means.
- To provide opportunities and experiences that promote the development of self as well as that of the nation.
The Centre in partnership with Boards of Industrial Training offers a four - month evening course to empower youths in today’s society.
List of Courses
Level 1 Competency Based Education and Training (CBET) Courses
Motor Vehicle Engine Systems
Carpentry and Joinery
Metal Work Engineering
Motor Vehicle Repairs
General Office Administration
Drawing rooms and several classrooms are available to all students for private study. These rooms are made available as determined by the institute’s administration. The Resource Centre is opened from 7:30 hours to 19:00 hours, Mondays –Fridays. Available texts are in excess of 3800 volumes. There is also a wide variety of journals, periodicals and magazines. Internet and computer access are available. Photocopying and printing services are also offered.
Applicants must be at least fifteen (15) years old to attend fulltime courses and eighteen (18) years and older to attend Evening courses.
For CBET courses, applicants must have successfully completed the Secondary Competency Certificate Programme (SCCP) Part 1 Certificate, or have a sound foundation in general education up to the Grade 10 i.e. 4th form.
Persons who do not possess the above will sit the Centre’s Entrance Examination.
Competency Based Education
An educational system that emphasizes the specifications, learning and demonstration of those competencies (knowledge, skills, behaviours) that are of central importance to a given task, activity or career.
Competency Based Education Training (CBET)
CBET is a modern strategy used for the delivery of training internationally. It provides for students/trainees to:
- know what they have to learn in advance;
- Know how they will be assessed;
- Be the focus of the learning experiences;;
- Appreciate that both theoretical knowledge and practical skills are valued;
- Progress at their own pace;
- Recognize learning as an individual experience
- Know how well they are doing at all times.
Students will be required to satisfy the following conditions before they are considered to graduate.
- At least a minimum of eighty percent (80%) of the possible attendance for each subject .
- Trainees must complete all of their mandatory competencies according the Occupational Standards
Work attachment is an integral part of the Centre’s curricula and as such, all trainees will be required to complete a six week period of work attachment in industry as a requirement to be awarded a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ).
All students will be required to pay an annual registration fee for contingency purposes. This fee is payable at the time of enrollment.
Students are involved in competitive sports with other schools and Institutions. The trainees are also involved in organized activities on Monday and Friday afternoons. The student body and makes suggestions/recommendations to administration on miscellaneous issues.
Address: Mahaicony Technical and Vocational Training Centre Park, Mahaicony, East Coast Demerara
Telephone #: General Office,592- 221-2199
Chief Instructor; 592-221-2190